Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chocolate Chip Soda Cake


Work was pretty lame today, but I managed to balance it out with two awesome things:

1. Run with Andrew. This afternoon when I got home from work I told Andrew I was going on a run and he asked if he could go with me. Um...Yeah!!! I love exercising with my man! We did about 3 miles. I didn't time us, but it felt like we kept a pretty good pace and even sprinted to the finish. I was so glad to have a workout buddy today, because when I walked in the door after work I was cranky and tired and wanted a beer, pizza, and ice cream to make me feel better. The run was fun, and afterward I felt great. Love when that happens!




2. Cake. I don't remember when I first came across the diet coke cake recipe, but I've been wanting to try it for a while. The basic idea is that you use a boxed cake mix, but you replace the eggs, oil, and water with a can of soda. I was skeptical, but tonight I decided to give it a try.

I used a yellow cake mix and plain soda water. I also threw in some chocolate chips. It was so easy and it turned out really well! Fluffy yellow cake + melty chocolate chips = happy Michelle!

It wasn't quite the same as a homemade cake made with butter and eggs, but it was still pretty darn good. And, as much as I would like to be the type of person who can have a small piece of a super rich dessert and be satisfied, sometimes I just want to eat a giant piece of cake, ok? I know I'm not alone here.

I'm definitely going to be trying this again, maybe next time I will try using a flavored diet soda.

Some possible tasty combinations...

Chocolate cake + Root beer?
Vanilla cake + Cherry 7-up?
Spice cake + Dr. Pepper?
Angel Food Cake + Squirt?
Strawberry Cake + Ginger Ale?

What other combos can you think of?

Check out my cake's plate halo

I am working on trying to eat more sloooooowwwwwly because I have a tendency to go crazy on my food and scarf it really fast. So, when it was cake time made myself a nice little set up with some tea and magazines. I kept the tv off and the laptop on the other side of the table, just out of arm's reach. I am always multitasking so it almost felt luxurious to just sit and eat without 1000 distractions.

Wow it's already late and pretty much my bed time. Tomorrow = interval workout on the treadmill. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I'm always intrigued by soda cakes, but I've never made one myself.

    ReplyDelete